In collaboration with Japanese cellphone carrier au, registered users gained access to exclusive SnK contents, from mock characters interviews to short omake stories. For the month of June 2014, there was a Jean closeup interview being featured. What listed below is a rough translation of what’s been leaked online so far (as of August 5 2014).
They were originally posted in old blog entries. I compiled them here into one page; didn’t bother with the formatting. Enjoy.
(I’m not posting the screencaps here. They can be found here.)
He has that innocence look of a youngster, but also the maturity (face) of an adult – Jean is just that real of a young man.
Jean Kirstein has the same young face as everyone, though he’s also the teenager who brings with him that special determination of a soldier.
At the beginning of the interview, Jean came in, did the salute, then as if being shy, turned his head to look elsewhere.
Ain’t ordered by anyone, I decided by myself to become a Scouting Legion member.
– “kyo wa yoroshiku onegaishimasu” < = not gonna translate that
Aah…talking about me huh….there really is such person who wants to know that?
– You know everyone is very interested to know about the Jean who exceled during trainee squad days, and fought bravely after joining the SL.
Is that so…though this might not satisfy everyone’s expectation…I’ll just say what I can (think of), ‘s that alright?
– Um, of course! So, Jean can you quickly tell us your reason of joining SL?
Scouting Legion huh….actually..I didn’t have that thought from the beginning.
– Even if it’s not a willing choice, it’s quite normal to have that thought though.
I was thinking, after that battle, who’d be the next to fall casualty? I would also imagine how I could have saved that guy if I was just there..
Second part of the interview will be released as scheduled.
Jean’s stepped back when faced with a barrage of questions !?
[the chosen future is…]
– “Right now, what’s to be done?”, the origin of that really was Marco eh..
..as well, I felt indescribable regret and responsibility. We were in different squads…but Marco could just be alive today if he was with me.
– He was someone who really knew you well eh..
That’s right..coz just before graduating, he did say to me, “Jean is actually a weak person as well..” We’ve really been through a lot together.
– But Marco’s wish was to be a MP, wasn’t it?. Why had his death became your reason of joining the SL?
Marco once said “Jean you’re someone who knows what’s to be done in the instant”. I didn’t paid attention to that…after the battle at Trost, I slowly came to realize the meaning behind it.
– had any encouragement from Marco?
All the time…. during the trainee days, I was absolute confident in my expertise(skills). That was really naïve now to think about it…I’d feel really depressed whenever I faced even small amount of failure. During the those time, the one who stood by me, was Marco.
– what had he said to you?
He’d just quietly hang around with me. He’d respond with something affirming like “Is that so..” to my needless rants; and just listen to all my problems.
– Were there any notable incidents?
During training, tried to get the best scores, wounded; (he) became really down. Marco’s like that to anyone.
– You two chatted a lot?
Nah…how to say…back then I always made fun of top students like him…even with that, that Marco would just smile and nod. Really, I have/had no idea why Marco would be friend the kind of person (me) who’s selfish and self-centred..
– Ever fought/quarrel?
That guy just couldn’t get mad at anyone..
Marco…really was someone who’s good…someone who’s too overly good, I might say. He had that ability to see through a lot, but still believed in the good bond and spirit between people; always looking after the interest of peers. That’s how he was.
– That’s right. From the notes right here, it says “Classmate Marco Bodt’s passing became the catalyst of your decision in joining the SL.” Can I ask more about him?
….aaa. I think that’s already been asked.
– There are good number of questions in regards to classmate Mikasa.
Who the heck asked about that! What’d (they) want to know!(?)
– Eeeh….say, what’s your first thought (of Mikasa? )
S..she’s just a normal classmate…
– Here’s a question of “Please tell us about Mikasa’s attractiveness.”
That hah! Beautiful hair, face; cute even with a slight lacking in the speech department… Why the hell am I answering to that !?
In first part of the interview, we had a glimpse of a young trainee’s progress of becoming a solider with pride and resolution.
Going into the second half (of the interview), we shall explore more secrets of Jean and the real him that’s unknown to many.
“Why dwell on asking about my mom…never mind. It’s that all (they/you) have to ask about my mother…?”
– Anyways, there are much more to ask about your relationship with people. Said earlier, there are often voices that asked to know more about (your) family.
Huh, family…(is) alive and well. It’s an uncommon thing in these time of age isn’t it. Is that good enough (answer) ?
So, normal it is, normal! Then, a lot of my classmates have lost their families…I think I have to be thankful (my family) is well. That is all I have to say.
– Here’s also a question that asks, “What’s your favourite of your mother’s cooking?”
[this part wasn’t included in that big image; it was translated in a previous entry on this blog. I’ll include in here for convenience]
– Ehh…it asks about “(Are you) really a mazakon?”
Why bring out that “Babaa” topic in here! I’m gonna get that bastard who asked this!”
[below was already translated earlier; I’ll just repost that here]
Why dwell on asking about my mom…never mind. It’s that all (they/you) have to ask about my mother…?
– Yep, what you think (about it) ?
(I) like omelette. I’d make replicates of the same thing (what Jean’s mom make) by myself. That’s all I’m gonna answer on that!
– Ahh. So, beside family, we’d like to ask about your relationship with your classmates. Other than Miksa, and Marco, we have question about (your) impression on Armin.
[page 3 – those two paragraphs/sentences, I have no idea…]
Ahh. In the beginning, that suicidal idiot would overcome anything alone. (But) to adapt to the collective action of an army officer within one month is something that’s beyond the quality of an average senior officer.
英雄としてのカリスマだけじゃ、できない芸当だろうな。多分…オレが下につくことになっても、自分からついていきたくなるような上官なんだろ。 (wild guesses: A hero can’t pull things off with just charisma alone. If I’d be under such senior, I’d probably act on my own accord.)
– What would you have to say about the commander (of the SL)?
Between you and me, (he’s) probably just as scary as Armin…wouldn’t want him to me on the enemy’s side.
– After all, could it be because of his decision/ways in operating the troops (“trimming down” ? ) ?
[‘page’ 4 of that image was also translated earlier; but add the following sentence (bolded part) at the end]
– Say, what do you wish for when humanity is free from the titans?
…(I’m) different from that suicidal idiot, it’s not good to imagine about such unrealistic thing.
– (You) can still give some thoughts and imagination on it…
Hm..If the titans are gone, there won’t be anymore needless deaths of families and friends. That’s right, that’s all I ask for. Just wish the ones I care about can really live in peace.
picture caption: (This is the real(/usual) world.)
– You are so considerate.
Dd…don’t exaggerate it…!
[first three paragraphs of ‘page’ 5…I’ll just put what I got from reading it…(vague meaning? )]
– Thank you very much…
Ah! Those people who have/had questions about Mikasa and old h…my mom!! Don’t send the same questions again hopng for different answers!!
– Finally at the end, we thank Jean for being able to come and answer the questions.
[7/23 addition (page 5 final conclusion paragraph):]
Jean Kirstein, contrary to the reputation of having a bad-guy face and cocky attitude, gave the answers that you’d expected from a mature adult.
His perspective and thoughts are right down-to-earth real throughout the session, from beginning to the end; and also give you a strong sense of humanness in them.
He being a part of SL in which mankind’s hope is rested upon, would be a great weapon of humanity. We look forward to seeing more from him.
改めて言うのも何だが…オレ個人に興味を持ってくれんのは有り難いし、以前のオレなら大喜びだっただろうよ。( < wild guess: Again let’s just say…before, I’d be happy if my own personal wish/interest happen…)
But, the me right now, as someone in SL, wanted to change that… (I) want a world where everyone can live safely. I am still inexperience/immature, and might even die in the war, but it’d be nice if I can witness that.
What’s your desire for promotion/success?
Hah…back when my goal was to get in MP, (I) wanted to climb fast on the ladder.
But you are a scout (SL) now?
I did what I had to/should do.
[unclear on exact words],
they might listen to my opinion if I get some accomplishments.
I see. So are there anymore bigger goals (of yours) ?